Skip to main content

"Please, sir, I want some more." -- Oliver Twist

I finished my book for the Classic Spin challenge! I started Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens on Monday (April 1st) and finished it late last night (April 5th). And let me just say that I loved every word of it! It was incredibly hard to put down on numerous occasions (mostly just before work or at night when I should have been sleeping). And to be honest it was the perfect "first read" experience that everyone raves about when they find that one gem of a book. It's kind of sad to know I will never have that experience again with Oliver Twist; unless of course I don't re-read it for years and years, then maybe I will. But even then it may not be the exact same.

Well, when I was younger, my first introduction to Oliver Twist was the 1968 movie Oliver starring Mark Lester as Oliver, Ron Moody as Fagin and Jack Wild as the Artful Dodger. My grandma had it on VHS and we (my siblings and I) may or may not have permanently borrowed it from her due to falling in love with it. But after reading the book this week, I was surprised at just how much that version of the movie left out. So many good parts of the story and so many details were not included, such as everything connected to the Maylie family, Monks and the inheritance which I thought were key pieces to Oliver's story. But I suppose that's the common problem of making books into screenplays that Hollywood is plagued by when producing a movie. The one thing I did love about the film was that it had music incorporated. I am a sucker when it comes to musicals and that made this version wonderful in my eyes.

While the movie was my introduction to the story of Oliver Twist, the book was my first introduction to the writings of Charles Dickens. And I have to say, that for my first step into his books, I was swept away and now I am really looking forward to reading more of his writings. I like his writing style for various reasons. One of the main reasons is that he describes everything, down to the smallest detail of an outfit or expression or location! Sometimes, like in Jane Austen's books, I like to be able to have less detail and therefore allow my imagination to fill in the picture. But with Dickens because his stories are so detailed I was able to just be caught up in the story and not have to do any extra work to fill things in and that was incredibly refreshing to me.

Another huge reason I loved Oliver Twist and Dickens was that he made the characters so very human. Especially the women. He put a lot of emotion into them and it made it so much easier to connect to them or to really grasp what he was trying to say in regards to that specific character in a specific situation. It was also good because he had so many characters that popped in and out at different times. To have that emotion and character development be so strong and prominent really helped solidify the character so that when they faded in and out they weren't easily forgotten. And as I was talking this morning with the mom of a couple of our students at church, who also happens to be a high school English teacher and uses Oliver Twist in her freshman classes, she mentioned how some of the story development is because the book as a whole was originally published as serials in the paper or magazines (which I didn't know). And so I think because they had to be broken up and a week or two or even longer may have passed in between each new serial, Dickens had to develop and solidify the story and write his characters and details in such a way that the readers would stay connected to, interested in and engaged with the story week after week.


And of course, I absolutely loved the main character... Oliver. Everything about him made my heart ache and smile and cry and laugh at different points. Part of it is because of how well Dickens wrote about him and developed the story around him, very much making him the central character (which makes sense with the book being Oliver Twist and all). But part of it is because I have special soft spot in my heart for children and especially for orphans. I have always wanted to adopt and my husband and I plan to one day. And I have to admit that I often find myself longing for the day when I get to be a mom. I have a big family and have always loved babysitting, holding babies or playing with children. I can't wait for the day when I have that in my own house and my own little family. And so to read about little Oliver growing up without a loving home and not having parents to care for him just made my heart ache. But then at the end when he learned who he was and that he belonged somewhere and to a family, it was just amazingly wonderful and made my heart smile and cry tears of joy (I didn't literally cry by the way, surprisingly). Oliver was an amazing little boy who faced a lot of situations, but came out on top and found himself greatly loved and cared for despite all of the craziness that led him to that point. And I loved that.

Well, I suppose that is all I have to say about Oliver Twist and Charles Dickens. For now anyway. I am definitely not afraid to read more of his works now. I was terrified at first when I realized that my Classic's spin book was to be Oliver Twist. Not sure why I was scared, but I was. I think partly because of how well loved or disliked he can be depending on the reader and because of how his books have just that tradition and reputation of being high classic literature. I was afraid that it would be too dense or too old English for me to really enjoy. But I was proved wrong with Oliver Twist. That may change as I venture into some of his other novels, but only time will tell.

Now I am off to read The Paris Wife by Paula McLain, which just so happens to be a favorite of the mom I was talking about earlier. I am only a few pages in, but already like the feel of it and can't wait to get lost in the world of Paris, France in the 1920s. And yes, my reading habits do tend to cross all sorts of time periods, locations, styles and authors every time I start and finish a new book. I just read whatever I feel like reading whether or not it is by the same author or genre or style of what I just finished. And I wouldn't have it any other way! :) 

Happy reading!! And hooray for warm weather and reading on the deck (which is where I am currently sitting)!

Comments

  1. I 've read a few Charles Dickens but not Oliver Twist. I've seen the film you mention above and also loved it and I think in a way this probably put me off reading the book - I had a silly notion that I always wanted to read the book first - but, having read this I feel I would like to read OT now. I've read Great Expectations - which I love and recently reread and A Christmas Carol - which is a great story and only short (best read in December though).
    I'd also read a little about Dickens (including a novel based around the last book that he was writing and didn't finish - Drood) and so had picked up that his books were serialised - they were incredibly popular apparently!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Classics Spin #2 is here!!!

So since the first Classic Spin was such a hit, the moderators over at the Classics Club decided to do another one. This Monday they will announce the number that is randomly picked between 1 and 20 and then whatever the title is that corresponds with the number is the Classic I need to try and read before July 1. I can pick any 20 titles from the my Classics Club list. For the last one I read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and loved it. Maybe I will have the same luck this time around. And so without further ado... Here is my Classic Spin List 2.0!! Already On My Shelf:  1. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer  2. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky  3. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien 4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte 5. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf 6. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell  Dreading:  7. Confessions of St. Augustine by Augustine 8. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 9. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson  10.

"Mansfield Park" Thoughts

I finished Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on Sunday and have just now sat down with the intention of writing about my final thoughts of it. I took a day of not starting any new books or do anything book related so that I could just sit, soak in the memories of Mansfield Park and form my thoughts about it for my wrap-up post. In my last post about Mansfield Park I wrote that I was falling in love with the book despite it having so many reviews against it. And I have to say that I finished the book absolutely loving it. While there were moments and characters in particular that drove me crazy and made me want to spit, I loved the story as a whole and Jane Austen's expert way of weaving a story that touches the heart.  It was my second book of Austen's that I have read in its entirety and was definitely worth every minute and even staying up way past my usual bedtime on Sunday to finish. I wrote in my first post about things I loved. The slowness of the story and the cha

A Classics Spin

The wonderful moderators over at the Classics Club decided to give us a little mini-challenge. A little spin on the Classics Club challenge to read at least 50 classics in 5 years. This mini-challenge is to make a list of 20 Classics from our lists that we haven't read yet...  they are calling it our Spin List . We can pick some that we are excited for, some we are dreading, some from our favorite authors or any number of combinations. We have to number the books 1 to 20 and then next week the moderators are going to pick and post a random number. Whatever that number is we have to read the corresponding book on our list by April 1st... even if it is one that we are dreading and just can't get into. I love this idea and am looking forward to it. I have been enjoying all of my reading so far this year, especially since I have been alternating between fiction and non-fiction. So, I think this is going to be a great way of picking what I read next. Without further ado... Here is m