Skip to main content

"Mansfield Park" Thoughts

I finished Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on Sunday and have just now sat down with the intention of writing about my final thoughts of it. I took a day of not starting any new books or do anything book related so that I could just sit, soak in the memories of Mansfield Park and form my thoughts about it for my wrap-up post.

In my last post about Mansfield Park I wrote that I was falling in love with the book despite it having so many reviews against it. And I have to say that I finished the book absolutely loving it. While there were moments and characters in particular that drove me crazy and made me want to spit, I loved the story as a whole and Jane Austen's expert way of weaving a story that touches the heart.  It was my second book of Austen's that I have read in its entirety and was definitely worth every minute and even staying up way past my usual bedtime on Sunday to finish.

I wrote in my first post about things I loved. The slowness of the story and the character of Fanny Price. I loved those two things the entire way through. But what I didn't love one bit was the character of Mrs. Norris. OH MY GOODNESS! She was an annoying old crank who needed to get off her high horse and be put in her place! So many times when she was included in the story I would find myself reading faster just to get past her. Or shaking my head at whatever ludicrous thing she said. Or huffing out loud at her oh so precious opinion of herself or her favorite nieces. Seriously, the woman drove me crazy! I know she served a purpose in Jane Austen's mind and story. That she was (in her mind) the epitome of good-hearted old aunts and the most doting, thoughtful, well-intentioned lady of the family. But in reality, I saw her as nosy, selfish, rude, thoughtless and down-right mean. And not just towards Fanny. She pushed herself and her opinion onto Lady Bertram and Sir Thomas. And of course just had to make sure that if her opinion wasn't heard she still ended up with some credit for some hair-brained idea. I know that Jane Austen had a reason for including her character. But I am not entirely sure why. I think the story would have been drastically different and then maybe not as loveable without her character. But there were too many moments where I just rolled my eyes when she appeared. But oh well. That's just my opinion.

One other thing I loved dearly was Fanny's relationship with her brother, William. Even despite the distance and the time apart, they loved each other deeply and had each others best interests at heart every step of the way. William especially showed his care for her when the two of them went home for a visit and Fanny found herself among a family of complete strangers and treated as a complete stranger. William tried to make sure she was cared for despite only having a short-while before shipping out. The letters and the conversations Fanny shared with Edmund about William showed how much she cared for him. And I loved that. I love it when an author (any author) incorporates strong family ties. Coming from a big, loud, boisterous but amazingly loving family, I value everything that has to do with families and the important relationships that come from families. My siblings are my best friends and I love them with everything in me. My brother is my buddy. I can hang out with him despite him being 9 years younger than me and have a fantastic time. I can wrestle with him or have serious conversations. I love him and he loves me. And our family is a core piece of who we are. I love that Jane Austen included that for Fanny. I think any book and author that does that and does that well is a real gem and something to be highly valued.

I loved Mansfield Park. I really did. It is one that will definitely be re-read and one that will definitely take it's place among the many favorites I have. I can't wait to read my next book for Austen in August. I am not sure if I am going to read Pride and Prejudice (this would be a re-read) or Emma (a first time read) next. Any thoughts or suggestions on which to pick?

Happy reading!

Comments

  1. I'm glad you loved this one! So many people have a hard time with it (and for understandable reasons).

    Haha Mrs. Norris. Goodness. I compare her to Mrs. Jennings from Sense & Sensibiilty and can't help but think, wow, Jane really knows her old ladies! They're so different, but both so believable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. I am putting my Classics Club list together, and Mansfield Park is near the top. Do you have any suggestions for my last five spots? What have you loved? (I like you "dreaded" list and want to avoid those if I can)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, I don't know what all you have on your list already but some of the ones I have loved and am excited for include:
      Oliver Twist (LOVED THIS SO MUCH!)
      Anne of Green Gables
      Agnes Grey (LOVED THIS ONE!!!)
      Phantom of the Opera
      Little Women, Little Men and Jo's Boys
      Peter Pan
      David Copperfield


      I have also been enjoying Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Anderson at a slow pace. I read a few here and there in-between other books. It's one of those that unless you absolutely love short stories is hard to sit down and commit to. But in small doses its quite enjoyable.

      Good luck with your list! I love being a part of the Classics Club. It's a pretty fantastic community and I hope you enjoy it too!

      Delete
  3. Have you read Hard Times? I loved that book so much for the voices Dickens created, but his other works tend to be tedious for me. I will check out Oliver Twist, though. Thanks for your suggestions! I added some medieval titles to the end of my list, but I imagine it's going to shift over time. It's here for now:

    http://www.twoorthreelittlebirds.com/?page_id=43

    -rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma is my favorite Austen, but it does have some annoying characters! (It seems like all Austen novels do, though. True to life, I suppose? Hah.) P&P is always lovely, but since you're taking opinions I vote that you read Emma next. I'm glad you like MP; it's the last major Austen I have to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is Emily I decided that since P&P would be a re-read that I would read Emma first just in case I didn't get around to finishing all 3 of my Austen in August picks. So I am glad that's what you recommended and what I went with. I started it on Monday and am to volume 2 of the book. Emma is definitly an interesting character. I am going to do a few different posts for this one I think. :)
      Thanks for voicing your suggestion! I appreciate it greatly!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Classics Spin #2 is here!!!

So since the first Classic Spin was such a hit, the moderators over at the Classics Club decided to do another one. This Monday they will announce the number that is randomly picked between 1 and 20 and then whatever the title is that corresponds with the number is the Classic I need to try and read before July 1. I can pick any 20 titles from the my Classics Club list. For the last one I read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and loved it. Maybe I will have the same luck this time around. And so without further ado... Here is my Classic Spin List 2.0!! Already On My Shelf:  1. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer  2. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky  3. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien 4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte 5. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf 6. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell  Dreading:  7. Confessions of St. Augustine by Augustine 8. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 9. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson  10.

A Classics Spin

The wonderful moderators over at the Classics Club decided to give us a little mini-challenge. A little spin on the Classics Club challenge to read at least 50 classics in 5 years. This mini-challenge is to make a list of 20 Classics from our lists that we haven't read yet...  they are calling it our Spin List . We can pick some that we are excited for, some we are dreading, some from our favorite authors or any number of combinations. We have to number the books 1 to 20 and then next week the moderators are going to pick and post a random number. Whatever that number is we have to read the corresponding book on our list by April 1st... even if it is one that we are dreading and just can't get into. I love this idea and am looking forward to it. I have been enjoying all of my reading so far this year, especially since I have been alternating between fiction and non-fiction. So, I think this is going to be a great way of picking what I read next. Without further ado... Here is m