Skip to main content

A Book With Mixed Reviews

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen is often known as the most difficult and least-loved of her 6 major novels. It has some very mixed reviews on Goodreads, Barnes and Noble and Amazon. It has been criticized and thrown away half-read by some. Not to mention it's film adaptations have some pretty strong reviews against them as well. But while many have disliked it, it has been dearly loved and cherished by others. While it is disappointing that so many have discarded Mansfield Park, I am glad there are those who have held onto it and seen it's value. That there are those who love it every bit as much as her other novels. That encourages me as I am reading and falling in love with it this weekend. 

I am currently half way through my first reading of Mansfield Park... my first of 3 books chosen for "Austen in August" hosted by Roof Beam Reader. And so far, despite a very slow beginning, I am loving every bit of it. I started reading it in bed last night and have spent most of my lazy day today reading (in between short naps, of course!). I have to admit that I am a bit surprised with how much I like it due to having heard and read so many negative things about it. But in reading it and looking more into the back story, as well as digging further into the reviews to find those who do love it, I am glad I chose to be brave and pick it up. I am glad I have stuck with it despite the slow beginning. And I am excited to spend the rest of my evening reading (I have a good 6 hours before bed... plenty of reading time!).

I am enjoying Mansfield Park for a variety of reasons. One thing I like about it is that it is a slow read. And what I mean by that is that I like the fact that I don't feel like the story rushes through details or that Jane Austen rushed the development of her characters. I like that it is a book that is set to an easy pace and tone. Some books I feel are just so busy and fast that you hardly get one character or situation read and understood before it's time to move onto the next (think Hunger Games or Harry Potter which I dearly love). But Jane slows everything down and she takes each piece of the story in her own way, time and fashion. She spends a great deal of time showing the marriage relationships of the 3 sisters in the first chapter and later spends numerous chapters on the play the young people wanted to perform. And she uses that slow pace to set up the story in a great way. She writes in a way that keeps everything tied together, but yet doesn't rush her reader to try and work to keep up with every little detail or character. Some might argue that the slow pace of the book is why they dislike it. And that's fair. But to me I think it's perfect and has added so much to my enjoyment of the story as a whole.

Another thing (or rather a person) I love is Fanny Price. She is so not your typical leading lady. Especially in comparison to Lizzie or Emma. And that may be why so many dislike her. But I love her. She reminds me of myself in some ways. Quiet. On the edge of the scenes. Observant.  Respectful. Loving. Loyal. Opinionated, but not outspoken. Content to stay quietly at home. Easily embarrassed. Easily won over with a kind word. And so many other things.  Fanny wasn't asked if she wanted to live with her Aunt, Uncle and Cousins. She wasn't asked if she wanted to leave her brother whom she dearly loved. She wasn't asked if she wanted her life to change drastically. But she made the most of it. And she did it with grace and poise. Fanny's character is one that just makes me smile as I read her thoughts or see the actions of her extended family and their friends through her eyes. Her intense loyalty and love to her family even though most of them haven't really earned it is admirable. And of course, my heart can't help but ache as she watches Edmund focus on another lady and push her more into the background than ever before. She may be the leading lady, but yet in some ways she isn't and I can't help but love that about the story. 

I may only be half way through it and things could take a turn for the worse, but I am really enjoying and falling in love with the story of Mansfield Park. I won't be able to say it's a favorite til I have read my other picks for "Austen in August," but I can say it's one that I wouldn't mind re-reading one day, not to mention buying a hard-copy for my book shelf. Well, I am off to read some more. I will write again when I have finished!

Happy reading!

Comments

  1. I tried to read MP a while back and found the beginning too difficult to get through (I didn't have a lot of time for leisure reading back then; I knew I would come back to it). It's the only major work of Austen's that I haven't read, so one of these days I'm going to get down to it. I really like your view of it so far; there is definitely merit in a slow book, which I had trouble seeing my first time around. It's always good to see a favorable review of this less-loved novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Fanny Price, too. I'm rereading Mansfield Park right now and enjoying it even more the second time around! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. Although MP has traditionally been my least favourite JA, it was still a book I enjoyed (for most of the reasons you mentioned above).
    When I was younger I found the slower pace a tad too slow, but this time around I love the gradually unfolding of story and character. It feels like the drama is happening in real time.
    And, yes, I was rather like Fanny in my younger years too. It took years of determined adult living to overcome many of my inhibitions...I would love to see Fanny Price at age 40!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Classics Spin #2 is here!!!

So since the first Classic Spin was such a hit, the moderators over at the Classics Club decided to do another one. This Monday they will announce the number that is randomly picked between 1 and 20 and then whatever the title is that corresponds with the number is the Classic I need to try and read before July 1. I can pick any 20 titles from the my Classics Club list. For the last one I read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and loved it. Maybe I will have the same luck this time around. And so without further ado... Here is my Classic Spin List 2.0!! Already On My Shelf:  1. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer  2. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky  3. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien 4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte 5. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf 6. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell  Dreading:  7. Confessions of St. Augustine by Augustine 8. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 9. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson  10.

"Mansfield Park" Thoughts

I finished Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on Sunday and have just now sat down with the intention of writing about my final thoughts of it. I took a day of not starting any new books or do anything book related so that I could just sit, soak in the memories of Mansfield Park and form my thoughts about it for my wrap-up post. In my last post about Mansfield Park I wrote that I was falling in love with the book despite it having so many reviews against it. And I have to say that I finished the book absolutely loving it. While there were moments and characters in particular that drove me crazy and made me want to spit, I loved the story as a whole and Jane Austen's expert way of weaving a story that touches the heart.  It was my second book of Austen's that I have read in its entirety and was definitely worth every minute and even staying up way past my usual bedtime on Sunday to finish. I wrote in my first post about things I loved. The slowness of the story and the cha

A Classics Spin

The wonderful moderators over at the Classics Club decided to give us a little mini-challenge. A little spin on the Classics Club challenge to read at least 50 classics in 5 years. This mini-challenge is to make a list of 20 Classics from our lists that we haven't read yet...  they are calling it our Spin List . We can pick some that we are excited for, some we are dreading, some from our favorite authors or any number of combinations. We have to number the books 1 to 20 and then next week the moderators are going to pick and post a random number. Whatever that number is we have to read the corresponding book on our list by April 1st... even if it is one that we are dreading and just can't get into. I love this idea and am looking forward to it. I have been enjoying all of my reading so far this year, especially since I have been alternating between fiction and non-fiction. So, I think this is going to be a great way of picking what I read next. Without further ado... Here is m