Skip to main content

Proving once again that...

I am such a nerd! Honestly, I don't know how else to describe myself. I am a full-fledged nerd, bookworm and hopeless romantic. Earlier this week I spent time re-organizing my bookshelves because I was bothered by the fact that I had books stacked on top of each other. I have spent countless hours on Pinterest looking at book lists, book art and various libraries and reading nooks. I have spent too much time watching the clock at work counting down the minutes til I could go home and get back to my book. I have spent too much time quoting The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien while watching the movie and gotten too upset with how different the movie is from the book. Seriously. I'm ridiculous. Such a bookworm. Such a nerd. 

What can I say? I love my books. I love the adventures I get to go on. I love the characters I get to know. I love the trials and triumphs that I get to experience through my imagination. And those things happen whether I read fiction or non-fiction. Fantasy or classical. Children or adult (and no I don't mean the nasty, sexual adult kind!). It doesn't matter what I read... I still love those things no matter what the book. And I wouldn't want it any other way. 

Right now, I am reading the Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien. I finished The Two Towers this morning and will be starting the Return of the King sometime this evening. It's the last of the Trilogy and will complete my fifth or sixth re-read of Tolkien's books (including The Hobbit) since I was 12 years old. 

I have loved The Lord of the Rings Trilogy since the first time I read the book after my dad took me to see the first movie (Fellowship of the Ring) as a thank-you for helping with childcare at his Bible study. I watched the movie and then asked if I was old enough to read the books. He said I could try. Not only did I try, I read all of them in a very short amount of time. Let me just say both of my parents were pretty surprised, but hey, I couldn't help it... I loved every bit of it. I still do. It's a Trilogy that I re-read almost every year (while I was in college I didn't do that... I didn't have time to read and when I did have time, I didn't have much desire to read). This year I have split up my re-reading of it. I read Fellowship in July and now have finished Two Towers. I decided to go ahead and read Return right away since the year is almost over and I have nothing else I really want to read at this moment.

I have come to love the world of Middle Earth more and more every time I read the Trilogy. Every time I re-read the books I find some new details that I had never noticed before. Or I realize just how connected some of the stories are to other sections of the books or even to The Hobbit. With this re-read, I have found that my favorite characters have changed. They used to be Elrond, Galadriel and Gandalf. But now I really love the characters of Aragorn, Eomer and Faramir. I have come to admire and love the character that each of them had as rulers, leaders, men of valor. They were strong men who fought for what they knew to be good and right. They were men who were willing to fight for those they loved (the Hobbits, Arwen, Eowyn, Denethor, Gondor, Rohan, etc.) even though it seemed hopeless. I also loved them because they were men who had faults but still fought hard to be good men. I think the reasons those characters stood out to me so much is the fact that not many men are like that today. Not many men will own up to their faults and strive to be better. Not many men will fight, no matter what, to save or protect the people they love most. And that is so incredibly sad. I am a romantic. I do hold to the stories of chivalry and valor and courage. I do hope to one day raise my sons (if I have sons) to be that type of man. The world needs men like that. No more of the men who don't take responsibility for their actions. No more of the men who don't see anything worth fighting for. I want to see the world filled with men like Aragorn, Eomer and Faramir who had courage, valor, faith, chivalry and honor.

And yes, I know that this post especially proves yet again that I am a nerd. A bookworm. A hopeless romantic. But oh well. I accept it. This is who I have always been and will always be.     

Comments

  1. I love this post :) I'm having an absolute bookshelf crisis - two have now collapsed beyond repair, so books are divided between bedroom (stacked on two long benches), my study, and what has always been known as "the dumping ground", which breaks my heart (reasons for the division of books not just because of bookshelves, but because we also had a decorating disaster in the summer. Once all is resolved, I bet I could easily spend a day or two putting them back in order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faramir and Sam are probably my favourite characters in LotR. I can't even tell you how many times I've read them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Classics Spin #2 is here!!!

So since the first Classic Spin was such a hit, the moderators over at the Classics Club decided to do another one. This Monday they will announce the number that is randomly picked between 1 and 20 and then whatever the title is that corresponds with the number is the Classic I need to try and read before July 1. I can pick any 20 titles from the my Classics Club list. For the last one I read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and loved it. Maybe I will have the same luck this time around. And so without further ado... Here is my Classic Spin List 2.0!! Already On My Shelf:  1. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer  2. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky  3. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien 4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte 5. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf 6. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell  Dreading:  7. Confessions of St. Augustine by Augustine 8. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 9. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson  10.

"Mansfield Park" Thoughts

I finished Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on Sunday and have just now sat down with the intention of writing about my final thoughts of it. I took a day of not starting any new books or do anything book related so that I could just sit, soak in the memories of Mansfield Park and form my thoughts about it for my wrap-up post. In my last post about Mansfield Park I wrote that I was falling in love with the book despite it having so many reviews against it. And I have to say that I finished the book absolutely loving it. While there were moments and characters in particular that drove me crazy and made me want to spit, I loved the story as a whole and Jane Austen's expert way of weaving a story that touches the heart.  It was my second book of Austen's that I have read in its entirety and was definitely worth every minute and even staying up way past my usual bedtime on Sunday to finish. I wrote in my first post about things I loved. The slowness of the story and the cha

A Classics Spin

The wonderful moderators over at the Classics Club decided to give us a little mini-challenge. A little spin on the Classics Club challenge to read at least 50 classics in 5 years. This mini-challenge is to make a list of 20 Classics from our lists that we haven't read yet...  they are calling it our Spin List . We can pick some that we are excited for, some we are dreading, some from our favorite authors or any number of combinations. We have to number the books 1 to 20 and then next week the moderators are going to pick and post a random number. Whatever that number is we have to read the corresponding book on our list by April 1st... even if it is one that we are dreading and just can't get into. I love this idea and am looking forward to it. I have been enjoying all of my reading so far this year, especially since I have been alternating between fiction and non-fiction. So, I think this is going to be a great way of picking what I read next. Without further ado... Here is m