Skip to main content

November Wrap Up with a Top-Ten Tuesday bonus!

Have you ever asked yourself why people go through phases in life? What the purpose is behind those phases or even if there is a purpose? Have you ever spent some time looking over how you have spent your time in the last few months or even years and looked at how your hobbies or interests have changed? I have asked that question a lot over the last couple of months. Mostly because I took a look at this blog and my other more personal blog and noticed just how much I seem to bounce from thing to thing with no real sense of rhyme or reason. I noticed that over the last few months (since August really) I have gone from reading nothing but classics and fiction to reading nothing but missions and church books to reading nothing at all and playing with my paints and canvases to spending hours on Pinterest or watching Netflix and then finally back to reading fiction again. There are so many things that I am interested in. Things I am passionate about. Things I am entertained by. And I just can't help but bounce around them all at different times, in different phases. 

Reading has always been my first choice of entertainment. It has always been the one constant hobby or interest in my life since I was about 4 or 5 years old when I first learned to read and discovered the magic that words and stories can bring to one's life. It has always been my escape when things get too overwhelming or home seems too far away or life is just not fun and easy at the moment. But now as I am still growing up and finding out more about who I am, especially now as a young college graduate and wife, I am finding that I am going through more of these life phases and have no real rhyme or reason behind them sometimes. I have realized though that I am just seeking out more activities, more genres of books, more worlds to travel through and more adventures to go on. So, I don't think that phases are necessarily bad. They are just random and crazy and exciting and weird. And maybe it's time to for me to start embracing those phases more and running with them to see what adventures they may bring.

With that said here are my reading stats for the month of November...

The books I read in the month of November: 
The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns
A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliot
Scaling the Wall by Kathy Hicks
 
The number of pages I read in the month of November: 
919
 
The number of pages read year-to-date (middle of December 2011 - end of November 2012): 
14,770
 
Number of Classics Club books read so far:  
  10 of 70 


And here is my list of the Top-Ten (really 14) books I would love for Santa to bring me this Christmas:

1. Mark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine Rivers -- I have passed buying this trilogy up countless times because it does cost a bit but I want to read it so bad!
2. Middlemarch by George Eliot -- this is a new one to my wish list and I'm hoping it's good
3. The Last Romanov by Dora Levy Mossanen -- who doesn't love reading about the czars of Russia and Princess Anastasia? And yes, I love the animated movie!
4. The Paris Wife by Paula McLain -- the storyline looks so inviting
5. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte -- I have heard nothing but good things about this one
6. Villete by Charlotte Bronte -- same goes for this one as for #5
7. William and Kate: A Royal Love Story by Christopher Anderson -- I have wanted to read up on the story from a fairly reliable source rather than just the tabloids
8. The Kissing Sailor: The Mystery Behind the Photo that Ended World War II by Lawrence Verria -- who doesn't love that picture in Times Square? I want to know the story behind it!
9. Slum Life Rising by Ash Barker -- I have a great deal of respect for Ash and really enjoyed his first book. I am now waiting oh so patiently for this one!
10. Elizabeth the Queen by Sally Bedell Smith -- English history is fascinating and the Queen is one inspiring person. I want to know more of her story
11. Harry Potter #'s 5 and 6 (Order of the Phoenix & Half Blood Prince) -- they are the last two I need to complete my set -- update... thanks to a birthday card with a bit of cash in it I have finished off my Harry Potter collection! :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Classics Spin #2 is here!!!

So since the first Classic Spin was such a hit, the moderators over at the Classics Club decided to do another one. This Monday they will announce the number that is randomly picked between 1 and 20 and then whatever the title is that corresponds with the number is the Classic I need to try and read before July 1. I can pick any 20 titles from the my Classics Club list. For the last one I read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and loved it. Maybe I will have the same luck this time around. And so without further ado... Here is my Classic Spin List 2.0!! Already On My Shelf:  1. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer  2. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky  3. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien 4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte 5. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf 6. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell  Dreading:  7. Confessions of St. Augustine by Augustine 8. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 9. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson  10.

"Mansfield Park" Thoughts

I finished Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on Sunday and have just now sat down with the intention of writing about my final thoughts of it. I took a day of not starting any new books or do anything book related so that I could just sit, soak in the memories of Mansfield Park and form my thoughts about it for my wrap-up post. In my last post about Mansfield Park I wrote that I was falling in love with the book despite it having so many reviews against it. And I have to say that I finished the book absolutely loving it. While there were moments and characters in particular that drove me crazy and made me want to spit, I loved the story as a whole and Jane Austen's expert way of weaving a story that touches the heart.  It was my second book of Austen's that I have read in its entirety and was definitely worth every minute and even staying up way past my usual bedtime on Sunday to finish. I wrote in my first post about things I loved. The slowness of the story and the cha

A Classics Spin

The wonderful moderators over at the Classics Club decided to give us a little mini-challenge. A little spin on the Classics Club challenge to read at least 50 classics in 5 years. This mini-challenge is to make a list of 20 Classics from our lists that we haven't read yet...  they are calling it our Spin List . We can pick some that we are excited for, some we are dreading, some from our favorite authors or any number of combinations. We have to number the books 1 to 20 and then next week the moderators are going to pick and post a random number. Whatever that number is we have to read the corresponding book on our list by April 1st... even if it is one that we are dreading and just can't get into. I love this idea and am looking forward to it. I have been enjoying all of my reading so far this year, especially since I have been alternating between fiction and non-fiction. So, I think this is going to be a great way of picking what I read next. Without further ado... Here is m