Skip to main content

The Life-Giving Leader by Tyler Reagin

I have never thought of myself as a leader. I have always been more content with being someone who blends into the background and isn't seen or followed or looked to for guidance. My husband on the other hand... loves leadership stuff and even got his Masters of Divinity in Leadership Studies from our beloved Lincoln Christian University.

So when I got the opportunity to read Tyler Reagin's (president of Catalyst) new book, The Life-Giving Leader, before it released as a part of the launch team with Waterbrook & Multnomah, I was a little on the fence about it. I didn't want to be challenged to step into a leadership role or have my comfortable "let others do it" mindset stripped down. And while it wasn't the deepest of leadership books or provide me with a life-changing attitude towards leadership, it did challenge me to think about how I can lead in a way that fits who God created me to be and the way He designed me to think and work.

One of the quotes that stood out to me the most was this:

"At Catalyst, we have a consistent prayer. I'm not sure there has been a more important prayer in the life of our team. It is this: "God, move through us and not in spite of us." It's all about posture. Place yourself in God's path so He will move through you and won't have to go around you." 

So while there were moments when I felt the flow of the book was slow and there was a lot of redundancy, the idea was a good one. It just needed a little more depth and a little more polishing.

If you end up picking this one up, let me know what you think when you finish it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Classics Spin #2 is here!!!

So since the first Classic Spin was such a hit, the moderators over at the Classics Club decided to do another one. This Monday they will announce the number that is randomly picked between 1 and 20 and then whatever the title is that corresponds with the number is the Classic I need to try and read before July 1. I can pick any 20 titles from the my Classics Club list. For the last one I read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and loved it. Maybe I will have the same luck this time around. And so without further ado... Here is my Classic Spin List 2.0!! Already On My Shelf:  1. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer  2. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky  3. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien 4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte 5. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf 6. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell  Dreading:  7. Confessions of St. Augustine by Augustine 8. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 9. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson  10.

"Mansfield Park" Thoughts

I finished Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on Sunday and have just now sat down with the intention of writing about my final thoughts of it. I took a day of not starting any new books or do anything book related so that I could just sit, soak in the memories of Mansfield Park and form my thoughts about it for my wrap-up post. In my last post about Mansfield Park I wrote that I was falling in love with the book despite it having so many reviews against it. And I have to say that I finished the book absolutely loving it. While there were moments and characters in particular that drove me crazy and made me want to spit, I loved the story as a whole and Jane Austen's expert way of weaving a story that touches the heart.  It was my second book of Austen's that I have read in its entirety and was definitely worth every minute and even staying up way past my usual bedtime on Sunday to finish. I wrote in my first post about things I loved. The slowness of the story and the cha

A Classics Spin

The wonderful moderators over at the Classics Club decided to give us a little mini-challenge. A little spin on the Classics Club challenge to read at least 50 classics in 5 years. This mini-challenge is to make a list of 20 Classics from our lists that we haven't read yet...  they are calling it our Spin List . We can pick some that we are excited for, some we are dreading, some from our favorite authors or any number of combinations. We have to number the books 1 to 20 and then next week the moderators are going to pick and post a random number. Whatever that number is we have to read the corresponding book on our list by April 1st... even if it is one that we are dreading and just can't get into. I love this idea and am looking forward to it. I have been enjoying all of my reading so far this year, especially since I have been alternating between fiction and non-fiction. So, I think this is going to be a great way of picking what I read next. Without further ado... Here is m