Skip to main content

My least favorite classic so far...

The Classics Club is kicking the year off with a discussion on what our favorite or least favorite Classic is that we have read since beginning the challenge. I looked over the list of 10 classics that I have read so far and thought about how it would be nearly impossible for me to pick a favorite. Out of the 10 I have read so far... 6 of them were amazing, 1 was okay and 3 were just awful. So I couldn't pick just one favorite. But I could pick my least favorite. And that was... Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray.

I don't know what it was but I absolutely hated that book. I had the hardest time reading it, but I did finish it. And yes, I was very excited and proud of myself. But I just couldn't get into the story. I thought the storyline was all over the place, the characters didn't make sense, the typos and incorrect grammar that my copy had irritated me to no end and the character of Becky Sharp made me want to throw the book out the window. No joke. And again, I have no idea why all of those things bothered me, but they did. I couldn't help it. I kept reading in the hopes that it would get better, that I would like it by the end, that I would finally get into the story. But that never happened. I finished reading it and put it on my shelf thinking to myself that I will probably never read it again.

I know that a lot of people love Vanity Fair and think very highly of it. But oh my goodness. I just can't be counted among them. I would love to hear what others think/thought of it. I want to know if others hated it as much as me and why. I want to know why some absolutely love it. I want to know if maybe I am just the one in a million who happened to hate it and therefore have made myself an outcast in the literary world.

So there you have it. My least favorite classic that I have read so far. Hopefully I won't have too many more that I absolutely hate while I continue read through my list. And maybe one day, if I re-read it, Vanity Fair will become one that I appreciate and enjoy reading, even if it doesn't become a favorite.

Comments

  1. I couldn't stand it :) Can't remember why, but it was a total bore. I thought I would have loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a bummer. I read the back cover and thought it sounded interesting, so I bought a copy. Well, I'll still give it a try and see. I like how you leave room to maybe someday re-reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Classics Spin #2 is here!!!

So since the first Classic Spin was such a hit, the moderators over at the Classics Club decided to do another one. This Monday they will announce the number that is randomly picked between 1 and 20 and then whatever the title is that corresponds with the number is the Classic I need to try and read before July 1. I can pick any 20 titles from the my Classics Club list. For the last one I read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and loved it. Maybe I will have the same luck this time around. And so without further ado... Here is my Classic Spin List 2.0!! Already On My Shelf:  1. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer  2. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky  3. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien 4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte 5. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf 6. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell  Dreading:  7. Confessions of St. Augustine by Augustine 8. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 9. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson  10.

"Mansfield Park" Thoughts

I finished Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on Sunday and have just now sat down with the intention of writing about my final thoughts of it. I took a day of not starting any new books or do anything book related so that I could just sit, soak in the memories of Mansfield Park and form my thoughts about it for my wrap-up post. In my last post about Mansfield Park I wrote that I was falling in love with the book despite it having so many reviews against it. And I have to say that I finished the book absolutely loving it. While there were moments and characters in particular that drove me crazy and made me want to spit, I loved the story as a whole and Jane Austen's expert way of weaving a story that touches the heart.  It was my second book of Austen's that I have read in its entirety and was definitely worth every minute and even staying up way past my usual bedtime on Sunday to finish. I wrote in my first post about things I loved. The slowness of the story and the cha

A Classics Spin

The wonderful moderators over at the Classics Club decided to give us a little mini-challenge. A little spin on the Classics Club challenge to read at least 50 classics in 5 years. This mini-challenge is to make a list of 20 Classics from our lists that we haven't read yet...  they are calling it our Spin List . We can pick some that we are excited for, some we are dreading, some from our favorite authors or any number of combinations. We have to number the books 1 to 20 and then next week the moderators are going to pick and post a random number. Whatever that number is we have to read the corresponding book on our list by April 1st... even if it is one that we are dreading and just can't get into. I love this idea and am looking forward to it. I have been enjoying all of my reading so far this year, especially since I have been alternating between fiction and non-fiction. So, I think this is going to be a great way of picking what I read next. Without further ado... Here is m