Skip to main content

It's a New Year!

Well, normally I would be asleep by this point in time. But since I am married to a youth minister and therefore a designated youth sponsor, I am spending my New Years at an all-nighter with about 300 junior high and high school students from some of the churches in our area. It's a crazy night. So much noise and so much going on. But everyone seems to be having a good time. But let's just say that I am very tired already. So between being tired and typing this post on my iPad, there may be a few more typos or errors than usual. It also means I can't format things the way I want to. But I may just go back in and re-do it when I've gotten some sleep. Either way, I apologize. I hope you won't judge me too badly or stop reading. That would make me sad. But anyway...

It is a new year and that means that it's time to recap what I read in 2012 and get excited for what I'm going to read in 2013. With the way my blog is set up, I am going to replace the list of books read in 2012 (see the tabs under my header) so that I can begin to track what I read in 2013. But I don't want to lose my 2012 list. So I am going to include it at the end of this post. But before I do that I want to do parts of a survey that one of my favorite bloggers did for her end of the year recap. I'm not going to do all that she did, but some of it is just too good to pass up.

How many books and pages read:
As I said in a post a few days ago, this is the first year that I have ever tracked my reading. I have always read a lot but never really saw a need for or had a desire to keep track of titles, authors and pages. But for some reason I decided to track it this year and it has been quite an interesting experience. One that I am glad I started and hope to continue for awhile. In the last year, I read 55 books for a total of 17,289 pages (I am not counting Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix because I haven't finished it yet and actually haven't read it in a few days). In December alone I read 2,519 pages (again not counting Order of the Phoenix). I am completely astounded by those numbers and pleased that I read so much. In my mind it's nice to have a number to verify just how much reading I do and to have a number to try and beat in the coming year. 

Fiction/Non-fiction:
* 34 out of 55 = fiction
* 21 out of 55 = non-fiction 

Re-reads:
* 10 out of 55 (not bad!!!)

Longest/shortest:
* tie between Vanity Fair by Victor Hugo and Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling = longest (736 pages)
* How Reading Changed My Life by Anna Quindlen = shortest (85 pages)

Best book:
* Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far by Bristol Palin.... Her story was amazing and as I read her book in one day, I kept thinking about how she wrote as if we were best friends and she was just filling me in on life. It was really impressive also how she wrote so openly and with a rare, real honesty despite the way some people react to her family and their life.

Most Disappointing Book:
* A tie between Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray and The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo.... I was so bummed that I hated these two books. I had been looking forward to reading them, but they were so long, full of fluff and had no solid thread to keep me tied to the story. I wanted to give up on them, but stuck it out til the end hoping they would get better. But alas, they didn't and I was disappointed. 

Most beautifully written book:
* Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.... This was by far one of the most beautiful stories of love and forgiveness that I have ever read. 

Most surprising book (but in a good way):
* Not Afraid of Life by Bristol Palin.... Her honesty and real, down to earth way of talking about her family and her life was what made the book so good and surprising. She easily could have just glossed over things or painted a better picture of her family and her mistakes, but she didn't. She was real and honest the whole way through. 

Most thrilling or un-put-down-able book:
* Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling.... Can't get enough of her writing and I love the stories of Harry, Ron and Hermione. I think the fact that I read the first 4 in less than a week proves that it fits this category pretty well!

Book that had the greatest impact on me personally:
* Journals of Jim Elliot by Elisabeth Elliot.... I only read the first half of it, but it was inspiring. It truly gave me a whole new understanding of journaling and have working out my faith through prayer and study of Scripture, along with allowing myself to be raw, real and brutally honest in my personal writing.

Best series discovered:
* The Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson.... Words can't describe how good this series is. I'm eagerly awaiting for the release of book 4. It may be a children's series, but like Narnia and Harry Potter, it's great for any age!

Well... I think that's good for now. I won't go on too much longer. I just wanted to share some of the highlights of this year and record them for myself so that I can look back one day and see how my love of reading changes and grows the more I read. I hope the New Year is filled with even more reading. Even more new titles. Even more new authors. And a few loved re-reads. Here's to a new year and a chance to read even more!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the list of books that I read in 2012. A couple of them were started at the end of December 2011 when I returned home from my internship in South America. 55 books in total and 17,289 pages all together! I am so amazed by and pleased with this list!

December 2011/January 2012: 
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (re-read)
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas 
The Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer
The Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson (only books 1, 2 and 3 since book 4 isn't released yet) 

February 2012: 
Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis
Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman  
The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (started)

March 2012: 
The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (finished) 
Revolution of Missions by K.P. Yohannan
Get Your Hands Dirty edited by Doug Priest 
The Inheritance by Louisa May Alcott (re-read)
Here Burns My Candle by Liz Curtis Higgs

April 2012: 
Mine is the Night by Liz Curtis Higgs
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray (started) 

May 2012:
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray (finished)
Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James 
Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux 

June 2012: 
Fields of the Fatherless by Tom Davis
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 
The Brotherhood by Jerry B. Jenkins  
Candide by Voltaire 
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett 

July 2012: 
The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien (re-read) 
Journals of Jim Elliot compiled by Elisabeth Elliot (1st half) 
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (re-read) 
Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott  

August 2012:
Fatherless Generation: Redeeming the Story by John Sowers  
Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far by Bristol Palin  
Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan 

September 2012: 
Going Global: A Congregation's Introduction to Mission Beyond Our Borders by Gary Nelson, Gordon King & Terry Smith
The Road to Missional: Journey to the Center of the Church by Michael Frost
Compassionate Kids: Practical Ways to Involve Your Students in Mission & Service by Jim Hancock 
Ready to Go Missions by Jason Schultz
Girl Soldier by Faith McDonnell & Grace Akallo
The Mission Minded Child by Ann Dunagan
Youth & Missions by Paul Borthwick

October 2012: 
Effective Engagement in Short-Term Missions: Doing it Right! edited by Robert J. Priest
Unleashed: The Church Turning the World Upside Down edited by Dudley Rutherford 
Eats With Sinners by Arron Chambers
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers 
Crispens Point by JoHannah Reardon 

November 2012: 
The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns
A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliot
Scaling the Wall by Kathy Hicks  

December 2012: 
The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien (re-read)   
The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien (re-read)
How Reading Changed My Life by Anna Quindlen 
Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling (re-read) 
Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling (re-read) 
Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling (re-read) 
Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling (re-read)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Classics Spin #2 is here!!!

So since the first Classic Spin was such a hit, the moderators over at the Classics Club decided to do another one. This Monday they will announce the number that is randomly picked between 1 and 20 and then whatever the title is that corresponds with the number is the Classic I need to try and read before July 1. I can pick any 20 titles from the my Classics Club list. For the last one I read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and loved it. Maybe I will have the same luck this time around. And so without further ado... Here is my Classic Spin List 2.0!! Already On My Shelf:  1. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer  2. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky  3. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien 4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte 5. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf 6. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell  Dreading:  7. Confessions of St. Augustine by Augustine 8. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 9. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson  10.

"Mansfield Park" Thoughts

I finished Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on Sunday and have just now sat down with the intention of writing about my final thoughts of it. I took a day of not starting any new books or do anything book related so that I could just sit, soak in the memories of Mansfield Park and form my thoughts about it for my wrap-up post. In my last post about Mansfield Park I wrote that I was falling in love with the book despite it having so many reviews against it. And I have to say that I finished the book absolutely loving it. While there were moments and characters in particular that drove me crazy and made me want to spit, I loved the story as a whole and Jane Austen's expert way of weaving a story that touches the heart.  It was my second book of Austen's that I have read in its entirety and was definitely worth every minute and even staying up way past my usual bedtime on Sunday to finish. I wrote in my first post about things I loved. The slowness of the story and the cha

A Classics Spin

The wonderful moderators over at the Classics Club decided to give us a little mini-challenge. A little spin on the Classics Club challenge to read at least 50 classics in 5 years. This mini-challenge is to make a list of 20 Classics from our lists that we haven't read yet...  they are calling it our Spin List . We can pick some that we are excited for, some we are dreading, some from our favorite authors or any number of combinations. We have to number the books 1 to 20 and then next week the moderators are going to pick and post a random number. Whatever that number is we have to read the corresponding book on our list by April 1st... even if it is one that we are dreading and just can't get into. I love this idea and am looking forward to it. I have been enjoying all of my reading so far this year, especially since I have been alternating between fiction and non-fiction. So, I think this is going to be a great way of picking what I read next. Without further ado... Here is m