Skip to main content

"God bless us, every one."

Tis the season for Christmas movies, music, decorations and books. Specifically for country Christmas music and Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Both of which filled my shift at work today. I work at a fitness gym and after getting my cleaning done I usually have a couple hours of reading time while I sit at the front desk. And so I turned on my country Christmas station on Pandora and sat down with Dickens. It was wonderful. Not to mention the fact that every time I looked out the window I felt like I was in a snow-globe. It was seriously wonderful.

Now, after I finished Tolkien's The Silmarillion, I was at a complete loss as to what to read next. So I did the practical thing... I got on Facebook and asked everyone to pick a number between 1 and 4. Whichever number had the most votes would be the title I would read next. A Christmas Carol was number 4 and had the most votes.

I had never read A Christmas Carol until today. Granted I knew the story from various Christmas movies and quotes, as well as a fabulous Doctor Who Christmas special from 2010. But today was my first reading of it. Last year for one of the Classics Club discussion topics, we wrote about A Christmas Carol and I had admitted to being nervous to read it. I was nervous because before that point, I hadn't read any of Dickens' works and didn't know what to expect. But everyone had told me that I would love it and well... they were right!

Usually, I am not a huge fan of short stories or novellas (I'm not even a fan of that word... it just sounds funny to me), Dickens' A Christmas Carol was the perfect, little Christmas story. It had so much imagination and detail and so many characters and descriptions that it was easy to get caught up in the story and to understand why so many have loved the story of Scrooge and Tiny Tim for decades. Because it was a short book, the story moved along quickly and kept my attention better. It also kept me interested in finding out what would happen with each new Christmas Spirit.

While Scrooge is a person that many people frown upon,  I saw him as a lonely, old man who had nothing tying him to the holiday. That is until he traveled with the Spirits of Christmas Present and Future where he saw Tiny Tim, Bob Cratchit and his nephew and niece. And granted seeing his own grave shook him up quite a bit. But I think it was the images of family and love and sacrifice that really spoke to his heart. Those were the things that I think really woke him up (kind of like the Grinch... perhaps Scrooge's heart was two sizes too small). And in thinking about how Scrooge was a lonely, old man I began to think about how so often at the holidays, the elderly of our society are often forgotten about. We forget that there are those who have seen many more Christmases than we have and their families have either forgotten about them or gone before them in death. And they find themselves alone and grumpy because of it. Lonely and just wanting someone to share the holidays with. Granted, that probably wasn't what Dickens was writing about in the character of Scrooge. But that is part of what I saw in him. A man who was lonely, but found a new family.

I am amazed at Dickens and how he has such a way with words and pictures. I have now read two of his works (A Christmas Carol and Oliver Twist) and I am really learning to love him. He is climbing the tree of favorites and I'm sure will have a prominent place there soon. I am glad he wrote such a beloved Christmas story and that I had the chance to enjoy it this morning while sitting in my own little snow-globe at work.

Happy reading!

Comments

  1. I haven't read A Christmas Carol in a very long time, but your review reminds me what's so special about it - thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Classics Spin #2 is here!!!

So since the first Classic Spin was such a hit, the moderators over at the Classics Club decided to do another one. This Monday they will announce the number that is randomly picked between 1 and 20 and then whatever the title is that corresponds with the number is the Classic I need to try and read before July 1. I can pick any 20 titles from the my Classics Club list. For the last one I read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and loved it. Maybe I will have the same luck this time around. And so without further ado... Here is my Classic Spin List 2.0!! Already On My Shelf:  1. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer  2. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky  3. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien 4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte 5. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf 6. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell  Dreading:  7. Confessions of St. Augustine by Augustine 8. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 9. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson  10.

"Mansfield Park" Thoughts

I finished Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on Sunday and have just now sat down with the intention of writing about my final thoughts of it. I took a day of not starting any new books or do anything book related so that I could just sit, soak in the memories of Mansfield Park and form my thoughts about it for my wrap-up post. In my last post about Mansfield Park I wrote that I was falling in love with the book despite it having so many reviews against it. And I have to say that I finished the book absolutely loving it. While there were moments and characters in particular that drove me crazy and made me want to spit, I loved the story as a whole and Jane Austen's expert way of weaving a story that touches the heart.  It was my second book of Austen's that I have read in its entirety and was definitely worth every minute and even staying up way past my usual bedtime on Sunday to finish. I wrote in my first post about things I loved. The slowness of the story and the cha

A Classics Spin

The wonderful moderators over at the Classics Club decided to give us a little mini-challenge. A little spin on the Classics Club challenge to read at least 50 classics in 5 years. This mini-challenge is to make a list of 20 Classics from our lists that we haven't read yet...  they are calling it our Spin List . We can pick some that we are excited for, some we are dreading, some from our favorite authors or any number of combinations. We have to number the books 1 to 20 and then next week the moderators are going to pick and post a random number. Whatever that number is we have to read the corresponding book on our list by April 1st... even if it is one that we are dreading and just can't get into. I love this idea and am looking forward to it. I have been enjoying all of my reading so far this year, especially since I have been alternating between fiction and non-fiction. So, I think this is going to be a great way of picking what I read next. Without further ado... Here is m