Skip to main content

Two Months of Book Thoughts

Well, let's just say that the last two months have been absolutely crazy busy. And even though I have read a ton and almost non-stop, I just have been lazy and not taken the time to sit down, take a break and write. Tonight that changes. I am enjoying the quiet and coolness of the evening while trying to focus on writing. 

The last two months have been filled with weddings (4 weekends in a row), church events, trips home, bonfires, post-season Cardinal baseball and lots of work. It's been good. Just very busy. But surprisingly, in the midst of all the busyness, I managed to spend a lot of time reading. In looking back, I really have no idea how I managed to read so much. And I didn't really read small books. Quite a few of them were 350+ pages long and I was breezing right through them, one after another. I enjoyed pretty much everything I read over the last two months and many of them have been added to my re-read list. 

This month is Adoption Awareness month. The type of adoption that has to do with the life and well-being of an orphaned child. Not a pet. And since adoption is such an important thing to me and something that my husband and I want to do as we begin and grow our family in the years to come (not til after student debt is paid and he is closer to be doing with his Masters), I am devoting this month to reading about adoption (international and domestic) and foster care. I am also going to the International Conference On Missions in Kansas City in a few weeks and so books on Christian missions will also be read this month as my excitement and passion for missions is refueled through the conference.

I am excited about what I have been reading and what I plan to read. I am finding more and more that reading is a way for me to continue my education, to refresh what I was taught in undergrad and a way to fuel my various passions. I am also loving being introduced to new writers and new types of books. As much as I love my Classics, I am enjoying stretching out into some more of the fantasy (Percy Jackson) and historical fiction (Philippa Gregory) genres. And I am just really content with my reading choices right now. I can't explain it any other way. 

Well, with all of that rambling done and out of the way... here are my combined stats for September and October. Enjoy and happy reading! 

Books read this month: 
SEPTEMBER: 
The Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
The Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
The Heroes of Olympus: The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan  
The Journals of Jim Elliot by Jim Elliot (edited by Elisabeth Elliot) 
The Canterbury Tales by Geoffery Chaucer
Let Me Be a Woman by Elisabeth Elliot

OCTOBER:
The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory
Why Not Today by Matthew Cork & Kenneth Kemp 
The Boleyn Inheritance by Phillipa Gregory
The Demigod Files by Rick Riordan (a Percy Jackson and the Olympians companion book)
The Heroes of Olympus: The House of Hades by Rick Riordan 
Great American Speeches edited by Gregory Suriano
Speechless: Living in Awe of God's Disruptive Grace by Steven Curtis Chapman
Choosing to SEE: A Journey of Struggle and Hope by Mary Beth Chapman
Hands & Feet by Audio Adrenaline  
Raising Up Young Heroes by Efrem Smith
 
Favorite book read this month: 
SEPTEMBER:
 All of them... for real. 

OCTOBER:
Choosing to SEE by Mary Beth Chapman... 
this is seriously one of the best books I have ever read! 


Least favorite book read this month: 
SEPTEMBER:
The Canterbury Tales by Geoffry Chaucer...
parts of it were good, but it was a struggle to get through at times

OCTOBER:
Great American Speeches edited by Gregory Suriano... 
there were some great speeches, but overall I just had no interest in them. 
It probably didn't help that I started reading them out of frustration with our 
current President and the government shut-down. 


Number of pages read this month: 
SEPTEMBER:
3,230 pages

OCTOBER: 
3,315 pages  

Number of pages read this year: 
28,013 pages

Number of books read this year: 
96 books

Number of Classics read so far: 
18 of 76

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Classics Spin #2 is here!!!

So since the first Classic Spin was such a hit, the moderators over at the Classics Club decided to do another one. This Monday they will announce the number that is randomly picked between 1 and 20 and then whatever the title is that corresponds with the number is the Classic I need to try and read before July 1. I can pick any 20 titles from the my Classics Club list. For the last one I read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and loved it. Maybe I will have the same luck this time around. And so without further ado... Here is my Classic Spin List 2.0!! Already On My Shelf:  1. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer  2. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky  3. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien 4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte 5. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf 6. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell  Dreading:  7. Confessions of St. Augustine by Augustine 8. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 9. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson  10.

"Mansfield Park" Thoughts

I finished Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on Sunday and have just now sat down with the intention of writing about my final thoughts of it. I took a day of not starting any new books or do anything book related so that I could just sit, soak in the memories of Mansfield Park and form my thoughts about it for my wrap-up post. In my last post about Mansfield Park I wrote that I was falling in love with the book despite it having so many reviews against it. And I have to say that I finished the book absolutely loving it. While there were moments and characters in particular that drove me crazy and made me want to spit, I loved the story as a whole and Jane Austen's expert way of weaving a story that touches the heart.  It was my second book of Austen's that I have read in its entirety and was definitely worth every minute and even staying up way past my usual bedtime on Sunday to finish. I wrote in my first post about things I loved. The slowness of the story and the cha

A Classics Spin

The wonderful moderators over at the Classics Club decided to give us a little mini-challenge. A little spin on the Classics Club challenge to read at least 50 classics in 5 years. This mini-challenge is to make a list of 20 Classics from our lists that we haven't read yet...  they are calling it our Spin List . We can pick some that we are excited for, some we are dreading, some from our favorite authors or any number of combinations. We have to number the books 1 to 20 and then next week the moderators are going to pick and post a random number. Whatever that number is we have to read the corresponding book on our list by April 1st... even if it is one that we are dreading and just can't get into. I love this idea and am looking forward to it. I have been enjoying all of my reading so far this year, especially since I have been alternating between fiction and non-fiction. So, I think this is going to be a great way of picking what I read next. Without further ado... Here is m