Skip to main content

February Wrap Up

I know February is always a shorter month. But I feel like this February didn't exist because of how fast it went and how full it was with crazy life happenings. And because of a short month, crazy life happenings and my fast for Lent, my reading really took a beating. I didn't read as many books or as often as I normally do. In fact, this was probably the least amount of reading I have done since I really started paying attention and tracking what and how much I read. I miss reading. I am definitely excited for the end of March to come so that I can return to my Classics and routine of alternating back and forth between fiction and non-fiction. I just love my books and am ready for life to settle down again so that I can get back to reading and reading alot.

Here are my stats for the month of February:

Books read: 
The Multilingual God by Steve Fortosis
Life of the Beloved by Henri Nouwen
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

Favorite book read: 
Walking His Trail by Steve & Ginny Saint

Least favorite book read: 
Life of the Beloved by Henri Nouwen

Number of pages read this month: 
1,049

Number of pages read this year: 
3,109

Number of Classics read so far: 
 13 of 76

And now for a short rant.... 
I am a fan of the Facebook pages for Barnes & Noble and Nook. I love the conversations and book suggestions that are normally on there. But there was one today that just has bothered me all day so far. It was on the Nook page and it was a status update about some technical glitches they are currently having with some of the software. And within minutes of it being posted hundreds of people were commenting on how mad they are or how terrible B&N customer service is or how they demand a credit for books. And others were commenting about how there would never be a problem if people would just read out of an actual book rather than relying on a digital copy. No one once said thanks for the update or "it happens, it's okay. I still love the product." I was so irritated! 

I really hate how entitled our country is. How so many people believe that they have a right to be demanding or to make other people's jobs harder because something didn't work the way it was supposed to. I really hate how people find any reason to demand more. And it just bothers me so much. It's not like B&N made the Nook glitches happen on purpose. It's technology. Stuff like that happens all the time. But no one is understanding of that. No one cares. 

My question is are they that quick to complain and demand something in return when their phone doesn't update correctly or their computer gets slow or when their car breaks down. Really? Are people that petty? Are they that concerned with being pleased and pampered and entitled that they lose all sense of what it means to be grateful and blessed? 

I worked customer service at a grocery store for 8 years. I know that CS isn't easy and that the goal is to meet the needs of the customer and satisfy them. But at the same time, the customer plays just as big of a role in fixing things and making things right as those working in CS. And let me tell you... I am not impressed with how the B&N and Nook customers were responding. It's pretty sad when people are that petty about something that just had a glitch and will be fixed as soon as it's figured out. But yet no one will go back and say thanks for working on it when it is fixed. No one will say they appreciate B&N working hard to make things work right again. No one will say sorry for complaining and being rude. It's sad and pathetic.

Okay. I'm done now. Just needed to rant. And I would love to hear how you would react or if you would be bothered the way I am. I don't want to start any arguments. Just to hear some thoughts and reactions. But for now... I am out of here and returning to The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Classics Spin #2 is here!!!

So since the first Classic Spin was such a hit, the moderators over at the Classics Club decided to do another one. This Monday they will announce the number that is randomly picked between 1 and 20 and then whatever the title is that corresponds with the number is the Classic I need to try and read before July 1. I can pick any 20 titles from the my Classics Club list. For the last one I read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and loved it. Maybe I will have the same luck this time around. And so without further ado... Here is my Classic Spin List 2.0!! Already On My Shelf:  1. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer  2. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky  3. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien 4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte 5. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf 6. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell  Dreading:  7. Confessions of St. Augustine by Augustine 8. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 9. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson  10.

"Mansfield Park" Thoughts

I finished Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on Sunday and have just now sat down with the intention of writing about my final thoughts of it. I took a day of not starting any new books or do anything book related so that I could just sit, soak in the memories of Mansfield Park and form my thoughts about it for my wrap-up post. In my last post about Mansfield Park I wrote that I was falling in love with the book despite it having so many reviews against it. And I have to say that I finished the book absolutely loving it. While there were moments and characters in particular that drove me crazy and made me want to spit, I loved the story as a whole and Jane Austen's expert way of weaving a story that touches the heart.  It was my second book of Austen's that I have read in its entirety and was definitely worth every minute and even staying up way past my usual bedtime on Sunday to finish. I wrote in my first post about things I loved. The slowness of the story and the cha

A Classics Spin

The wonderful moderators over at the Classics Club decided to give us a little mini-challenge. A little spin on the Classics Club challenge to read at least 50 classics in 5 years. This mini-challenge is to make a list of 20 Classics from our lists that we haven't read yet...  they are calling it our Spin List . We can pick some that we are excited for, some we are dreading, some from our favorite authors or any number of combinations. We have to number the books 1 to 20 and then next week the moderators are going to pick and post a random number. Whatever that number is we have to read the corresponding book on our list by April 1st... even if it is one that we are dreading and just can't get into. I love this idea and am looking forward to it. I have been enjoying all of my reading so far this year, especially since I have been alternating between fiction and non-fiction. So, I think this is going to be a great way of picking what I read next. Without further ado... Here is m