Skip to main content

Dreams remembered thanks to the Bhaer's...

Despite my last post about my seemingly absent desire to read, I have read a lot this past month. A lot this past week is more like it. I read Louisa May Alcott's books regarding the March Family in a short 5, maybe 6 days. And that's no joke. I haven't had much else to do. So, I have lost myself in the world of Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy and Laurie. It was wonderful to say the least. And it made me think through some old, yet new thoughts. 

For the last few years of high school and all through college, I devoted myself to learning and studying about working with children who tend to be pushed to the outside. Children who tend to be forgotten or given up on by the ones in their lives who can make the most difference. Children who have been classified as at-risk. My degree was in missions and my focus was in children and family ministry. I took classes on child development, crisis intervention/counseling and ministry to children who are at-risk. I thought a lot about what I would want to do with my degree and how I would want to find my place of service in the world. I had a period of time where I seriously considered getting my Masters in Social Work and becoming a case worker. I had a period of time where I seriously considered getting another bachelors in education and becoming a teacher at an inner-city school. And I've always had the thought/desire of working in an orphanage overseas. None of those are really feasible at this point seeing as how I recently got married and moved with my husband to serve together in a church. But those thoughts are slowly starting to take over my thoughts again. Making me dream again. And thankfully, I have a husband who encourages my dreams and doesn't laugh at them or disregard them as nothing, which is a wonderful thing and part of why I love him so much. 

Anyway, with reading Little Men and Jo's Boys, my thoughts and dreams from college started coming back. In full force. I haven't been able to stop thinking about how Jo and Fritz worked for years to help the boys and girls who came to Plumfield. They took in children who were orphaned, unwanted by their parents, too unruly for their parents or just needing a different atmosphere to learn and grow in. They had their success stories (Nan, Nat and Dan) and they had their failures (Jack and Ned). They had adventures and trials. And through it all they did it with a strong sense of family and faith. That my friends is exactly how I want to be. I want to use what I learned in college and what I am passionate about, along with my personal beliefs, faith and love of family in order to influence the life of a child for the better. I want to give children and students the chance to turn things around, to know that they are valued and loved, to help them succeed in whatever they put their mind to. I want to make a difference the way Father and Mother Bhaer did, even if they are fictional characters. So, with that said... I am dreaming. I am even including those dreams as I continue to search for a job. Praying that GOD will provide just the right job at just the right time (but hopefully that time will be sooner rather than later). 

And with all of that said... here are my end of the month stats for July. Looking forward to taking a bit of a break from the classics again (3 in a row is quite a lot and a bit of a challenge at times). I am going to read a few ministry books. Including one specifically about reaching out to children and students who have been pushed to the side and forgotten.

The books I read in the month of July:
The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien 
Journals of Jim Elliot compiled by Elisabeth Elliot (1st half) 
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Little Men  by Louisa May Alcott
Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott 

The number of pages I read in the month of July: 
1,756

 
The number of pages read year-to-date (middle of December 2011 - end of July 2012): 
10,202

Number of Classics Club books read so far:  
9 of 70

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Classics Spin #2 is here!!!

So since the first Classic Spin was such a hit, the moderators over at the Classics Club decided to do another one. This Monday they will announce the number that is randomly picked between 1 and 20 and then whatever the title is that corresponds with the number is the Classic I need to try and read before July 1. I can pick any 20 titles from the my Classics Club list. For the last one I read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens and loved it. Maybe I will have the same luck this time around. And so without further ado... Here is my Classic Spin List 2.0!! Already On My Shelf:  1. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer  2. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky  3. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien 4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte 5. The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf 6. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell  Dreading:  7. Confessions of St. Augustine by Augustine 8. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 9. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson  10.

"Mansfield Park" Thoughts

I finished Jane Austen's Mansfield Park on Sunday and have just now sat down with the intention of writing about my final thoughts of it. I took a day of not starting any new books or do anything book related so that I could just sit, soak in the memories of Mansfield Park and form my thoughts about it for my wrap-up post. In my last post about Mansfield Park I wrote that I was falling in love with the book despite it having so many reviews against it. And I have to say that I finished the book absolutely loving it. While there were moments and characters in particular that drove me crazy and made me want to spit, I loved the story as a whole and Jane Austen's expert way of weaving a story that touches the heart.  It was my second book of Austen's that I have read in its entirety and was definitely worth every minute and even staying up way past my usual bedtime on Sunday to finish. I wrote in my first post about things I loved. The slowness of the story and the cha

A Classics Spin

The wonderful moderators over at the Classics Club decided to give us a little mini-challenge. A little spin on the Classics Club challenge to read at least 50 classics in 5 years. This mini-challenge is to make a list of 20 Classics from our lists that we haven't read yet...  they are calling it our Spin List . We can pick some that we are excited for, some we are dreading, some from our favorite authors or any number of combinations. We have to number the books 1 to 20 and then next week the moderators are going to pick and post a random number. Whatever that number is we have to read the corresponding book on our list by April 1st... even if it is one that we are dreading and just can't get into. I love this idea and am looking forward to it. I have been enjoying all of my reading so far this year, especially since I have been alternating between fiction and non-fiction. So, I think this is going to be a great way of picking what I read next. Without further ado... Here is m